We love everything about this time of year! The weather is perfect, we spend as much time as we can outside, including eating almost every meal outdoors. We do a lot of the typical grilling, but I wanted to try something different. And once again Pinterest came to my rescue ;-)
A couple weeks ago I wanted hot dogs so bad, ya know how it is....when your pregnant you crave all those things your not supposed to eat a lot of.. Well my hubby stopped at Costco on the way home to get some hot dogs for me. He found some chicken hot dogs, all natural no nitrates. I thought "yum!" ;-) they actually were really good!! However, sending my hubby to Costco is like giving him rights to spend half of our grocery budget for the month....ok not that bad, but he does spend about 1/4 of it. One of the things he purchased this time was a HUGE pack of flour tortillas....why? I have no idea and either does he. How will we use them all?? Well, we have used them for egg and sausage wraps for breakfast, he has made "french toast" with them (which was delicious) and he eats PB&jelly on them. With all of these uses we still have a ton left. :-/
I was browsing Pinterest this week to make up my grocery list and this Grilled Pizza caught my eye, because it used flour tortillas!! YAY!! So yesterday we spent the day at an outside dinosaur kid attraction and then I needed to do my grocery shopping, so I dropped the kids and hubby off at the park while I went to the store! That is like a vacation! Grocery shopping alone! ahh.... :) When we got home we decided to start making these pizzas.
I kept it simple on the toppings and purchased, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, canadian bacon and pineapple.
These are so easy to make!
1) Brush both sides of your tortillas with olive oil
2) Put them on your grill on medium heat and let cook for about 1 1/2 minutes with the lid open (you just want to cook them long enough to have grill marks)
3) Have all of your ingredients ready because you need to move fast on this next step! Having some assistance is a great idea! I sauced, then the hubby did the cheese and we both worked on toppings.
4) Close your lid and let cook for about 3 minutes, just until your cheese is melted. (you wont have time for any meats to cook through so if you are using uncooked meat you need to cook it before this step)
5) I then placed them each on a cookie sheet to cool down.
We each made our own, just how we like it and since these tortillas are so big we could only fit 2 on the grill at a time, but they were all still done in about 10 minutes. And they were delicious!!! We all loved them, the kids gobbled em up and my hubby said "wow, this is actually really good" (he is very picky when it comes to pizza)
This will definitely become a summer tradition, they were too good to only be made once! You should try these tonight with your family! Enjoy!